Bruichladdich Distillery Co.
Production Status: Operational
Water Source: Private dam
Location: Western shore of Loch Indaal
Expressions: 10, 15, and 21
Click here for our Special Focus on the Bruichladdich Distillery
Bruichladdich (meaning the 'brae by the shore') was built in 1881 by Robert, William and John Gourlay Harvey. The family were established distillers from Glasgow. By 1886 the Harvey family had a share capital of £24,000 and controlled Bruichladdich, Yoker and Dundashill distilleries. At this time the distillery was re-built and became the Bruichladdich Distillery Company (Islay) Ltd. This company ran the distillery until it was forced to close during the inter-war years.
By the late 1930s, due to expansive American investment in Scotch whisky, Joseph Hobbs was able to buy and re-open the distillery. After this point it was quickly passed to Associated Scottish Distillers Ltd, then to Ross and Coulter, A.B. Grant's company Bruichladdich Proprietors Ltd, and finally to Invergordon distillers, part of the Whyte and Mackay group.
The Distillery Today
In 1994 the distillery ceased production - reopened under new management May 2001
| Bowmore | Caol
Ila | Bruichladdich
Bunnahabhain | Lagavulin | Laphroaig | Port Ellen